Imagine A Time When A Kidnapper Said He Almost Got Femi Otedola,If Not For His Heavy Security—Momodu

According to a report by Leadership News on Wednesday, December 3, 2025, media entrepreneur and former presidential candidate Dele Momodu has criticized the Federal Government’s decision to withdraw police escorts from Very Important Persons, describing the move as a political strategy aimed at undermining opposition figures ahead of the 2027 elections. Momodu, speaking during a live appearance on ARISE News Channel’s Prime Time, rejected suggestions that his criticism of the policy was unfounded. He said he had previously warned about what he believed to be emerging authoritarian tendencies in the country, recalling political predictions he made in 2022.

He argued that the escort withdrawal was being presented as a pro-poor policy, but was in fact a calculated effort to pitch citizens against wealthy and influential individuals who may be critical of the administration. He maintained that the directive had less to do with reforming policing and more to do with weakening political rivals. Momodu questioned how political leaders would be expected to travel safely across the country during campaigns if their police protection was withdrawn. He said withdrawing security from high-profile individuals ignored Nigeria’s worsening insecurity and recent cases of attempted kidnappings targeting business figures. While acknowledging that many Nigerians applauded the decision, he insisted that they were overlooking the long-term implications.

He said influential individuals, including business leaders, were at increased risk and that no modern country operates without a structured system for VIP security. The Federal Government has maintained that the ban does not eliminate protection for qualified individuals, noting that duties would be reassigned from the police to the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps. Officials argued the change was intended to restore police manpower for public safety operations. However, Momodu expressed doubts about the capacity of the NSCDC to take on the responsibility effectively and warned that the move could affect political competition.

He added that the National Economic Council’s approval of ₦100 billion for upgrading police training facilities was insufficient and called for greater investment in security infrastructure. He said; “Imagine a time when a kidnapper said he almost got Femi Otedola, if not for his heavy security. So you will see… When tomorrow comes and events begin to unfold, you remember that only one man warned you that this is part of the plot to suffocate the opposition.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *