El-Rufai’s wife breached security protocols

The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission has dismissed allegations by the wife of former Kaduna State governor Nasir el-Rufai that she was denied access to deliver food to her husband while he remains in custody.

Addressing journalists at the commission’s headquarters in Abuja, ICPC spokesman John Odey described claims made in a viral video interview by one of El-Rufai’s wives as “false and misleading.” According to the commission, its access control policy allows visitors into the premises between 9am and 6:30pm and applies to all individuals without exception.

Odey explained that the woman involved in the complaint allegedly arrived at about 7pm, outside the approved visitation period, despite having complied with the regulations earlier in the day. “The ICPC wishes to state categorically that these claims are false and misleading,” he said.

The spokesman added that El-Rufai’s family members were granted access several times on the same day to deliver meals to him. “On the Friday in question, one of the defendant’s wives and a housemaid were permitted to bring food to the defendant on no fewer than three occasions, between 10:30am and 5:30pm,” Odey stated.

While displaying portions of the visitors’ register, he said: “Six entries belonging to this family members who came here to deliver food, breakfast, lunch, dinner, to this defendant who is in our custody.” “What does this tell you? It tells you clearly that he is not being denied food,” he added.

The ICPC also rejected allegations that El-Rufai was denied access to medical personnel, explaining that the commission only requested proper identification and formal authorisation before granting access to a visitor claiming to be part of his medical team.

According to Odey, the former governor had previously been allowed to visit both his dentist and eye doctor under official escort after written requests were submitted.

“He wrote, one of his wives wrote, requesting for that permission and it was granted. The Commission accompanied him on both visits,” Odey said. He further stated: “Our doctors, our nurses, the people in our lab are open to him, but it will have to be if he requests for it. And there is no time he has requested that we have not honoured.”

Describing El-Rufai as a “high-profile politically exposed person,” the commission said stricter security procedures were necessary for his protection and that of others in custody. “Given his profile, the ICPC is obligated to maintain elevated security measures for his protection as well as that of all other persons in custody,” Odey said.

The commission also denied claims that El-Rufai’s detention was politically motivated, insisting the matter remained purely judicial. “The ICPC is not a political party. The ICPC does not play politics,” the spokesman stated.

According to the commission, El-Rufai remains in custody because he has yet to fulfil the conditions attached to his bail. “The court granted him bail. Mallam Nasir El-Rufai is yet to meet his bail conditions. If he meets his bail conditions now, I can assure you the ICPC will let him go,” Odey said.

He also dismissed rumours regarding the former governor’s health, saying: “On his health, he is hale and hearty, doing well.” The spokesman added that El-Rufai himself had not accused the commission of mistreatment or persecution. “This is not el-Rufai complaining, el-Rufai has not complained,” he said.

Read Original

…WATCH THE VIDEO HERE

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *