US doctor tests positive for Ebola in Congo, transferred to Germany for treatment

An American doctor tested positive for Ebola while working in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and has now been transferred to Germany for medical care. 

Tedros Ghebreyesus, WHO director-general, shared this on Tuesday, May 19, while addressing delegates at the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneva, Switzerland, where health ministers and diplomats are meeting to discuss global health emergencies, pandemic preparedness and healthcare financing. 

Ghebreyesus said the infected American national was working with a medical missionary group in eastern Congo before contracting the virus. 

He said WHO is collaborating with authorities in the DRC, Uganda and the United States to contain the outbreak, warning that the situation remains worrying because of the risk of wider transmission. 

“We’re working with the DRC, Uganda and the United States,” he said. 

“There are several factors that make us concerned about the potential for further spread and further de@ths. 

“First, beyond the confirmed cases, there are more than 500 suspected cases and 130 suspected de@ths.” 

According to Ghebreyesus, health officials are intensifying surveillance, contact tracing and laboratory testing as the number of suspected infections continues to rise. 

He said some of the cases had been detected in major urban centres, including Kampala in Uganda and Goma in eastern Congo, increasing fears of cross-border spread. 

He added that several health workers had also died, suggesting transmission within healthcare facilities. 

“There is significant population movement in the area,” he said. 

“The province of Ituri is highly insecure, as you may know. Conflict has intensified since late 2025, and fighting has escalated significantly over the past two months, resulting in civilian de@ths. 

“Over 100, 000 people have been newly displaced, and in Ebola outbreaks, you know what displacement means.” 

The WHO director-general explained that the outbreak was caused by the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola virus, for which there are currently no approved vaccines or treatments. 

Despite the absence of vaccines, he said authorities could still curb the outbreak through measures such as risk communication, community engagement, surveillance and rapid response. 

He commended the Ugandan government for postponing the annual Martyrs’ Day celebrations, an event that could attract nearly two million people, due to concerns over the spread of the disease. 

“WHO has a team on the ground supporting national authorities to respond. We have deployed people, supplies, equipment and funds,” he said. 

“I have approved an additional 3.4 million dollars from the Contingency Fund for Emergencies, bringing the total to 3.9 million dollars.”

Read Original

…WATCH THE VIDEO HERE

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *